Monday, February 12, 2007

Mr. Levis

So, my husband will only wear Levis. I've known him since my freshman year at RISD and have never seen him in a pair of jeans that wasn't Levis. I can understand it, it makes things simple. So recently when the new organic line of Levis arrived at the store I was psyched. Here was a way for him to buy something organic without compromising his personal style. Alas, he came back from the store this weekend with a nice new pair of Levis, but not organic. I can't really be upset, he never vowed to go organic for a year, but I was disappointed. I thought this would be an easy one.

I bought two pairs of Levis organic jeans, however, and I'm pretty happy with them. One pair of very dark wash, skinny jeans and one pair of "vintage" boot cut. I wear them both a lot. I am pretty happy with the price, too. Levis is making both high-end and mid-range eco jeans. Both pairs I bought were about 65 dollars, which I thought was pretty reasonable for organic denim.

A lot of the choices for going organic, or not, come down to price. What's reasonable? I guess it's different for every person. I hear the phrase "I can't afford it" a lot. And while sometimes this is true, I think it often comes down to a mentality of why get one when you can buy five? In a society where a celebrity is lampooned for showing up in the same article of clothing twice, we are trained to want more and more. I am definitely not immune to this, on the contrary, I have been guilty of walking out of Target in the past with 4 new shirts because they were on sale for 6 bucks a piece. I didn't need the shirts, but they were kind of cool, and I kind of wanted them, and they were really cheap.

If people returned to buying fewer, but higher quality items it could make a huge impact.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Hey, I tried...they just only had one fit of organics and it was baggy. Blech.

Anonymous said...

But baggy is the new tight!
Or was baggy the new tight and now tight is the new baggy?
I don't know any more.

Hey, kudos to the two Jennifers on this one, I will pledge to try and buy organic AMAP.
(As Much As Possible)