Friday, February 9, 2007

Envi


Today I am breaking out my new unicorn shirt bought online from Envi. It is quite beautiful, if I may say so myself. Designed by Twice Shy, I don't feel like it was a compromise at all to buy this shirt, more like love at first sight. This is not me in the picture, but a lovely headless model from the Envi site.

So, there is a third of a pound of chemical fertilizers and pesticides saved by buying an organic tee over a conventionally grown cotton tee. It feels like a small contribution right now. Does it matter? I hope so. I feel good about the purchase, but also like it's just one drop in the bucket. I need only look around at the piles of cotton shirts in my house, to see how much more of an impact I would have made by now , had I made the organic choice every time.

Unforunately, I look around and see a lot of beloved articles of clothing that I wouldn't own either. The local band shirts that I'll wear until they are threadbare, warm cotton sweaters and a pile of jeans that I really love wearing. Why can't Joes Jeans make their jeans with organic cotton? Loomstate seems to have figured it out beautifully. How do you get more people on board?

Of course it seems like every hipster on the planet is already on the American Apparel band wagon. I think that the sweatshop free, made in LA vote, is a step in the right direction. The problem is, Threadless-buying, band-merch-purchasing, thrifty hipsters rarely if ever want to wear a cream colored organic tee, which is American Apparel's only organic option. Although they do have some black organic panties I will need to purchase eventually.

No comments: