Saturday, March 10, 2007

How used?


It seems as if buying used or vintage clothing is the most sustainable way to go if you want to have the least amount of environmental impact. This is a great interim solution for a lot of the problems that the apparel industry causes for the environment, but it relies on the assumption that lots of people are going to discard lots of items way before they are used up. I know many people who have been excited by a barely used purchase, found at a good price, myself included. I recently was pretty psyched about a wool sweater I scored at Savers for $4. It was as if it hadn't been worn at all. I remember seeing the same sweater new at Nordstroms within the last year. I should feel great about that, right? But what it really points to is a not very well thought out original purchase.

I am all for organic, used and reclaimed materials, but maybe the first step towards purchasing with greener intentions is to really consider the quality and life of the purchase and consider if you will want to wear it for years to come. I purchased a sundress in 1992, that was more than likely not very environmentally manufactured. That said, it could possibly be one of my most environmentally sound purchases because I have worn it many times every summer since then. It is starting to get a little shabby, and I wouldn't wear it to a nice dinner, but it is still perfect to hang out in all afternoon in the sweltering heat. I wouldn't want to purchase the same dress made by the same manufacturer today, because there are much better methods to make a dress, but I hope that I can try to use a little more foresight with my purchases to find things that I won't be sick of by the end of the year.

This said, I am a little torn about a consignment shop I love here in Providence. The owner is nice and does a great job editing her selection of clothing she. Unfortunately, she requires that clothes are from the last couple years, if you want to consign. This does mean that she carries a lot of current and trendy items, but it also means she is encouraging more rampant thoughtless consumerism. I am torn because it is better that the items be used then discarded, but the person consigning is being "rewarded" for buying new items often and then selling them off before they are anywhere near the end of their useful life.

Other vintage or consignment stores that don't promote the same 2 year old time limit can theoretically exercise better environmental practices while still allowing a little more flexibility. They have more of a grand clothing swap vibe. It is possible that you could buy a used item, take care of it and wear it for a few years and then donate or consign it for something else that is new to you.

I am a big fan of clothing swaps, you just need to make sure you start chatting up some friends about your size to invite. Unfortunately, I am a gigantor, so it doesn't happen that often.

Anyone that knows me, knows I'm guilty of pretty much everything I mentioned, but I am trying to reform. I am also trying to rethink things that I have always taken as positive, like used=good. Check out Rusty Zipper for all kinds of used and vintage finds.

3 comments:

Jennifer Luxmoore said...

I understand your concern with the newer "vintage" clothing, but...
1) Alot of people won't buy older clothing, they want current styles and this is a great way to satisfy that rather than go to TJ MAXX and spend $15 for a disposable shirt.
2) Plus with all the schools around (especially brown) it's a great way to salvage the cloths that students would normally just throw away. My collage roommate thought nothing of buying new clothes every season and just throwing all the year old clothes away. Our tenant does the same, I've seen bags of clothes in the trash, that I occasionaly rescue and take to Sal Army.
So I understand your reluctance to buy something that is encouraging waste, but if you look at it from the other point, that it's actually saving a lot of waste maybe you would feel better about shopping there.
You never mentioned which store it was... is it the consignment store around the corner from Wickenden?
Jen

Jenn Hrabota Lesser said...

You are right, for the time being it is better that, than the clothing being thrown away. I guess baby steps are what we need at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Well said.